Sunday, January 31, 2010

Sunday, muddy Sunday

I was hoping to relate some good news to you all out there in blog reader land, but certain things have not yet transpired, so that particular piece of good news will just have to wait... I hope I didn't just jinx myself by telling you all I had good news. Crap.

Anyway, today was another good day filled with pots and chocolate cake. After rolling out of bed and finally getting out to the studio about 9:30 or so I hunkered down to some throwing. Bowls are something that I do not really make many of. I think it is just because I have not found a bowl form that I am really comfortable with yet. Regardless, or perhaps as a way to work out this problem, I threw a batch of 1 and 1.5 pound bowls this morning (sorry, I don't have a good picture of them). They turned out passably fair, but nothing to shout about.

I've had an idea for vases like these for a while. I started with a plain cylinder that I squared off (obviously) and kind of dented up a bit. I wanted them to feel a little more loose. Later they will get some ears, kind of like my oval vases. This is the first time I have tried these, so I am anxious to see if they live up to my expectations.

These here are some tea pot bodies and lids that I worked on today. It has been quite a while since I made anything with a lid, so that took some work; probably far more than it should have. I tried making them a bit larger than my regular tea pots, starting off with 2 pounds of clay instead of 1 to 1.5 pounds. And I am really going to have to find some tiles to make a tile bat system. I had to resort to throwing these lids on 14 inch masonite bats that I usually use for plates.

And last but not least, some more mugs from the extra 5 pounds of clay I had ready. You can never have too many mugs. The shelves are filling up; and as soon as I have enough for a full load I will be heading into decoration mode. Not quite as fun as throwing, but important none the less.
Oh, one more thing, if anyone is looking for a good photo manipulation program, definitely check out Gimp. I don't really use it for anything but touching up and resizing pictures, but it seems like there is quite a bit you could do with it if you had a notion to. And it is free! You can't beat that with a stick...tschus.

-Rob

No comments:

Post a Comment