Sunday, January 17, 2010

Studio Progress

So far this has been a nice long weekend. By no means stressful, but busy and getting stuff done. Yesterday the wife and I did some running around and I picked up a set of shelves for the studio. I was originally planning on building shelves, but buying the lumber to build them was not going to be much cheaper than buying them from the store. And I figured the store shelves would be more versatile in that I could move them if necessary and adjust the shelf height if I so desired.
After getting them home and putting them together, though, I probably should have just built my own. It would take too long to explain all the reasons why. Suffice it to say that I am not entirely pleased with my purchase. Oh, they will do I suppose, and they will undoubtedly be better than what I was using before. If I am ever again faced with the choice between building something and buying something, though, I will go with building if at all possible.
Other than that slight disappointment, the studio is coming right along. The table is covered with canvas, the shelves are put up, things are getting put away...before long I will actually be able to work in there. Tomorrow I am off work, so I will be finishing up the studio, test firing the kiln and possibly even throwing a little. Then I might be able to put some new pictures on here. Until then, however, more shots of older work

Little Slug Man, about 4 in. tall by 3 in. wide, paper clay with stain and clear glaze

Round lidded jar, celadon & tomato red glazes, gas fired cone 10 reduction

1 comment: