Sunday, March 1, 2009

Good weekend...

So I turned in my grad school application Friday. I was told that the professors check pretty frequently for new applications, so I might hear something in two or three weeks. I guess it is in the hands of the faculty and grad students of SIUC now.

On a less nerve wracking note, I have been having a pretty good weekend thus far. I went up to St. Louis to help my brothers with some drywall work, which was a good time in and of itself. On top of that, though, I also got to pick up seeds for the garden, which I will be working with later today. On top of that I got to go to the pottery shop up there (the closest to southern Illinois I've been able to find) and pick up some much needed supplies.

I have to say, Krueger Pottery in St Louis is an outstanding store. Every time I go there it is a great experience. And I know this sounds like a staged sales pitch or something, but rest assured I am in no way affiliated with Krueger Pottery. I don't work there; I don't have any friends or family that work there. It is just a genuinely good store, which is a rare thing these days. Yesterday, for example, I went in to pick up some clay I had ordered. Even though I am not what you would call a frequent customer (2, maybe 3 times a year) Ryan, the owner, recognized me and helped me with everything I needed. They are always ready to help and offer their sage advice to everyone from beginning hobbyists to studio potters. It’s just a darn good place.

3 comments:

  1. welcome to the blogging... me too just started about a month ago. it is a time drain. i graduated MFA from SIU Carbondale in 1986... good luck, is Harris Deller still there?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Linda, thanks. I was definetely stressing out a bit trying to get everything together. Now I can relax a little bit. If I get in, that's great. If not, I can always sell my blood to make money.

    Jim, thanks for checking out my blog. This stuff is way too time consuming. Technology can be a lot more trouble than it is worth some times. Yes, Harris Deller is still there, although I have not worked with him at all. The assistant professor, whom I have worked with, is Pattie Chalmers. She makes some very interesting work and is great professor-wise as well.
    Did you ever know Amy Kephart by any chance? She was one of my undergrad professors a SEMO. I know she went to SIU, but I am not sure when.

    ReplyDelete